Mysteries & Theories of Death of Climbers in Dyatlov Pass, Russia (Part 1)

Dyatlov pass incident

Six decades ago, researchers at the Ural Polytechnic Institute climbed the northern Ural Mountains, then died mysteriously. Many people are still confused about the cause of death, to the point that the Russian police reopened the investigation process in early February 2019.

Referring to the AFP report reported by CNN World, Alexander Kurennoi, the official representative of the investigation team, said the cause was a natural phenomenon.

“Evil is out of possible causes. There is no evidence, not even an indirect one, to support the theory of the crime of crime. ”

Kurennoi said the most plausible factor was an avalanche or hurricane, or a combination of both. But the Russian authorities are not the only party who lacks evidence to support the theory of nature. Over the past six decades, other theories have emerged – both scientific and mystical.

The incident has been told in many books. One of them is Donnie Eichar’s Dead Mountain: The Untold Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident (2013).


Eichar noted the beginning was the formation of an expedition group by Igor Dyatlov, a 23-year-old young man who studied radio engineering at the Ural Polytechnic Institute. The name of the event is taken from its last name, intended as a kind of tribute.

The six climbers were also male, plus two women, each of whom knew each other because of one campus. Besides Dyatlov, there were Yuri Dehoshenko, Lyudmila Dubinina, Yuri Krivonischenko, Alexander Kolevatov, Zinaida Kolmogorov, Rustem Slobodin, Nikolai Thibeaux-Brignolles, and Semyon Zolotaryov.

victims of dyatlov pass

Ascent is not a strange case because they are Level II professional climbers and will rise to Level III when returning from the climb. Their mission is to reach Mount Otorten, which is 10 km from the site of death.

After riding in trains and trucks, on January 27, 1959, Dyatlov and his eight colleagues began exploring the prefix route from Vizhai City. A diary and camera photo archive shows the team arrived at the end of the valley on January 31 and prepared to climb.

Conditions at the site suddenly worsened. A heavy snowstorm fell—blurry vision. The team accidentally walked towards the route to the top of Kholat Syakhl.

When they came to their senses, they stopped and built a tent on a mountainside, instead of in a valley of trees 1.5 kilometers away. It is said that the reason was that Dyatlov did not want the team to lose energy because it had already gone up.

Dyatlov should notify his sports club on campus on February 12. But there was no news until the deadline passed. About a week ago, police and assisted by Soviet troops began a search operation using planes and helicopters.

The Finding

On February 26, the tent was found in a heavily damaged condition. There was a large tear, which the investigation team concluded came from within, at the top to bottom. There are climbers’ belongings in them, including warm clothes and shoes, most of which have been covered in snow.

The first two bodies, Krivonischenko and Dehoshenko, were found about two kilometers from the tent, under a cedar tree, near a small fireplace. Both are not wearing shoes and only wearing underwear – which is strange considering the temperature outside the tent reaches -30 degrees Celsius.

Investigators found three bodies of other climbers in the area between the tent and the cedar trees. They were Dyatlov, Kolmogorov, and Slobodin, who looked as if they were dying on their way to the tent.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.